Whether you’re marketing medical practices or any other business online, a time may come when you need to switch web hosting companies. Your current web hosting company may not be satisfying your needs. You may be suffering from more downtime than uptime, or their technical support may be nonexistent. Making the switch to a new web hosting company need not be complicated provided that you take some necessary precautions and plan ahead. The following is a step-by-step guide to help you make the move:
- Backup Your Site. To ensure that nothing gets lost or destroyed during the move, first backup all of the information on your website onto a disc or cd.
- Find A New Host. Start looking for a new web hosting company. Don’t be hesitant about asking questions or even making a pest of yourself. You want to make sure that you won’t encounter any of those same problems that are causing you to leave your current host.
- Upload Your Site. Upload your site to the new web hosting company that you’ve chosen. Take some time to ensure that your site is working properly.
- Domain Name Server Change. In order for your web address to point to your new location with your new host, you must change your domain name server.
- Cancel Your Old Host. Cancel your account with your old host only after you’ve made certain that all traffic and email is finding its way to your new location. It’s often best to be safe and keep the old account for at least a month afterward.