We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: the search engines are crucial when it comes to cosmetic surgery advertising on the Internet. This is because the majority of visitors to your site will most likely find you through the search engines. If your cosmetic surgery site is able to perform well in the search engines, you’ll receive more targeted traffic to your site.
Because the search engines are so crucial, it’s important that your site be optimized for them. While there are many elements that go into good search engine optimization (SEO), the actual design of a website is rarely considered in this regard. In fact, your website’s design can impact your search engine rankings.
First, because directories use actual human editors to review your site, your design will clearly come into play. The search engines, on the other hand, use robots, or spiders, who may not take the aesthetic elements of your site into account, but still must be able to navigate through the whole of your site in order to index all of your pages. Design issues can effect both the spiders and directory editors. If aspects of your design confuse or slow them down, your site will suffer. When optimizing your site for the search engines, keep the following design issues in mind:
- Include all important page in your root directory.
- Use important keywords and keyword phrases when naming your pages.
- Use important keywords and keyword phrases when naming your directories.
- Have a site map with links to all of the pages on your site and keyword-rich but still relevant descriptions for each of those links.
- Have your own 404 error page that includes important information, such as links to your home page and other important pages, just in case errors do occur.
- When navigation is placed at the left or top of the page, it is the first thing that spiders see. To give body text more relevancy, consider placing your navigation on the right, middle or bottom of the page.
- Make sure that your navigation is simple, easy to understand and use, and that it keeps visitors and spiders from getting lost in your site.
- Have a link to your home page on every single page of your site.
- Cross link your important pages.
- Make your design comfortable and appealing, yet still organized and clean.
- Make your pages compatible with the majority of browsers.
- Make sure your images are high-quality and optimized for quick load times.
- Include your practice’s logo on your pages.
- Make sure that your content is quality content and that the text is easy to read.
- Use text links.
- Regularly check your page for broken links.
- Have a contact page.