Written content has dominated the internet since its inception in the 1980s. Over time, the internet has supported more advanced mediums of information-sharing, creating interactive platforms for people to communicate. Social media and mobile devices have given rise to video content, which is quickly becoming the preferred method of data exchange. Many people find it convenient to watch a video about a topic, which requires less time and effort than reading and comprehending writing. Visual learners or those who have issues with their sight can also benefit from this type of content.
What is Video Optimization?
Most people are familiar with search engine optimization (SEO), where written content is enhanced so search engine algorithms recognize it as being preferred information, pushing a website to the top of search results. Search engine rankings help a business receive online exposure, which is important for the sale of goods and services. Video optimization or video SEO follows the same logic, but it is specific to video content on the web.
Enhancing Videos Through Plastic Surgery SEO
SEO companies created methods to help promote their clients in search results and have since evolved their practices to include video marketing. Companies now encourage businesses to produce videos for the purpose of informing and entertaining their future clients so the videos can be optimized to generate sales. One niche market is the field of cosmetic surgery. Because the treatments are not medically necessary, the sites differ in content from a practice that focuses on traditional medicine. Potential patients are consumers with specific needs and have the unique position of choosing their own treatment. Through videos, complex procedures can be explained in simple terms with graphics for prospective patients to help them with their decision-making. Plastic surgery SEO services have been proven to boost a practice’s site visits, which translates to business for the surgeon as well as excellent care for patients seeking experts in specific procedures. For nearly 15 years, Surgeon’s Advisor has catered almost exclusively to plastic surgeons and cosmetic dentists. This type of specialty business model is important for other SEO marketing agencies to consider.
Expert-Approved Ways to Optimize Video Content
Read on to learn the top 15 ways to help your videos rank.
1. The first tenet of optimizing your video is to recognize that Google and YouTube are two separate entities and may not inherently trade information that is beneficial to a business. Google is a search engine, and YouTube should be thought of a separate search engine although it is a website. Currently, YouTube contains more videos than Google, and it is advantageous to use targeting keywords that rank with the website.
2. Make videos at least 5 minutes long. YouTube favors this length and does not appear to reward content that is significantly longer. By offering videos around the 5-minute mark, a business can maintain viewer engagement, and produce additional videos on more topics. Each video should feature a specific topic for the purpose of SEO.
3. Videos should be transcribed so that any keywords mentioned help the video to appear in relevant online searches. This can bridge the gap between website and search engine SEO, where both may rank the video well. Transcripts also help a business with customer inclusion, where those who may be hard of hearing can instead read information.
4. When writing a description for a video or when tagging it, use the correct keywords for the business. The optimized metadata – the meta title and meta description tag – are fragments of HTML code found in a web page’s header to briefly identify and describe the content. By reviewing other industry videos that generate a lot of views, it is easy to pick up on the preferred language. Experts suggest reviewing videos on accounts with few subscribers, but high view counts. The vidIQ tool is especially helpful for a more thorough analysis.
5. Pay attention to the 24-hour rule. Unlike SEO written content that receives increasing views over time, videos gain traction during the first day they are put up. During this time, it is important to add the video to newsletters or client email lists, Tweet it, and otherwise promote the new content. These efforts help ensure the early success of the video, which is necessary for this medium.
6. Update older videos with keywords that are currently ranking by changing the title, description, tags, and links. This can help past content to receive additional views. Views may be monetized through YouTube, and the exposure can help drive site traffic.
7. Produce video content with a professional setup. Invest in proper equipment and shoot the video using a professional camera, have proper lighting sources, and a microphone with good sound quality. Graphics can be added to the video which may include statistics, clarifications, or additional information not contained in the video. It is also recommended that you use editing software to cut out extraneous information, so the video appears more authoritative.
8. Add videos to your sitemap, which is the file where the site’s content is complied, so all files are identified, and their connections are clear. By adding entries for the content, Google recognizes its relevance. A webpage’s sitemap is one way to enhance its content.
9. Use video schema markup, which is when a webmaster has assembled an assortment of HTML tags that will be picked up by major search engines. This targeted vocabulary helps to describe the actual content of the page and assist in more relevant searches. Schema.org has vocabularies that are compiled by the tech community and require no additional knowledge of code to implement. This is a technique already used to optimize websites and can enhance video content as well.
Search engines extract data from schema and develop rich snippet, or a possible solution to a query which often includes the relevant title of the content, a URL link to click to be directed to the page, and a line or two about the content. A rich snippet will provide additional information, like graphics and more writing on the topic searched. The categorization allows search engines to recognize the content for usefulness.
10. Videos can be viewed on the popular video sites, YouTube, Vimeo, and Twitch as well as social media sites Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. When creating video content, share it with as many sites as possible. Some of the sites also allow for live videos, which creates a unique opportunity for a business to interact with its clients. By sharing across various platforms, Google will recognize the content as valid, and the producer of the content as an authority on the subject. You can utilize link-building
11. Post videos on sites like YouTube and Vimeo and add them to your own website as well. Create links within the website that will direct consumers to additional content on other platforms.
12. When saving a video file, create a name that contains relevant keywords. This can help enhance searches for specific content and allows for good content organization. Because a site may upload numerous short videos, this provides content management for later use of tags, linking, and sharing.
13. Create a captivating thumbnail so people will be inclined to click on a video. A thumbnail is a still picture from a moment during the video or an uploaded image that serves as the video’s main screen before it is played.
14. Use link-building to become a more popular website on the web. By getting other sites to link to your site organically, there is a long-term reward of being a consistently trusted and top site in the area of your expertise. This leads to search engines like Google prioritizing the website and giving it a high rank.
15. Much like Surgeon’s Advisor has found a niche market to cater to in individual plastic surgery practices, explore unique opportunities in SEO. Once you have established who your clientele is, work to create videos or encourage the business to produce video content.
By performing simple searches on any of the topics described above, the internet offers a variety of ways to achieve the 15 objectives above. Video SEO is an extension of general SEO and offers a modern way to help a website rank. If videos are interesting and informative, they may generate their own traffic organically.