By now, many people know that increasing a site’s link popularity can increase that site’s ranking in search engines. Link popularity refers to the number and quality of incoming links that your site has, or links from other sites that point to your site. Acquiring links can be time intensive and, though Google likes sites with lots of incoming links, they must be quality links. Obvious attempts to manipulate search engine rankings through links can actually hurt a site. The following are tips for acquiring links to your site:
- Articles. By writing articles for other websites, you can include a link referring to your own website.
- Forums. Many forums allow users to create a ‘sig line’, or signature line, that includes a hyperlink back to your website. Every time that you post on a forum, this ‘sig line’ can help to increase your link popularity.
- Major Directories. Get links from major directories with high PageRanks, or even paid directories like Yahoo! Express.
- News. You can place news releases which include links back to your site.
- Complementary Sites. You can personally contact webmasters of complementary sites – sites which are relevant to your own – and ask for a reciprocal link.