There are millions of websites out there on the Internet today, and literally thousands of ideas on how to create them. Nevertheless, there are several basic principles when it comes to good website design. To make your plastic surgery website as successful as it can be, you must determine those principles that are right for you and apply them to your site.
- The dynamic site vs. the static site. A dynamic website is one which involves the user and allows them to interact with the site. A static site allows for no interaction or input from visitors. Dynamic sites may be more appropriate for some types of websites than others. Nevertheless, some dynamic elements can be incorporated into just about any website. To make a website for your plastic surgery practice more dynamic, you could add a forum or a Q&A column that allows visitors to post questions to which you respond.
- The choice of a domain name. Before choosing and registering for your site’s domain name, consider words or terms that are related to your site. By selecting a domain name that incorporates keywords and also using it in your website’s main page title tag, you’re one step closer to great search engine rankings. Of course, some of the best domains are already taken so this can prove a bit challenging.
- Consider important keywords. Think of important keywords and keyword phrases that people would use to search for your site. Once you have a good list of them, be sure to incorporate them into the content of your site as well as in important tags. One word of warning, however, is that overdoing it with the keywords, what is known as ‘keyword stuffing’, is not only frowned upon by the search engines but is also a surefire way to turn visitors away.
- Optimize your tags. All of your title tags, description tags and keyword tags should be individually optimized for each and every page of your site. By matching the page info and page tags in terms of relevant keywords, the page will be more likely to show up in search engine results.
- Always include a site map. Sitemaps help search engines index your site. Further, they help visitors to find exactly what they’re looking for.
- Provide links to your sitemap and home page on every page. It’s very important that every page on your site have an easy-to-find link to your sitemap, home page, and any other important pages. Not everyone finding your site does so through your homepage. Through search engines, visitors often land on interior pages and must be able to easily find their way to your home page and to other content they may want on your site.
- Keep backgrounds and fonts consistent. Every page within your site should have a standard and consistent background and font. Keep your pages as uniform as possible to avoid confusing visitors. Limit your font types to two if possible.